Guided Tours - Forteau


Forteau includes the small communities of English Point and Buckles Point. Its name is derived from the French words meaning "Strong Waters". A Jersey merchant , De Quettville, started a fishing business there in 1774 and in 1818, it was reported that Forteau was the largest British establishment in the Straits.

Guernseymen settled in Forteau on the western side of the bay at Buckle's Point, while a group from Devonshire, England settled at English Point on the eastern side of the bay.

When Bishop Field of the Anglican Church was appointed to Newfoundland in 1845, he was surprised to learn that Labrador was within his jurisdiction. He visited Forteau in 1848 and in 1849 the first church was built there.

In 1909 the International Grenfell Association built a nursing station here and the Grenfell Regional Health Services continues to give medical service in this region although from new facilities.


  • Iceberg Alley Tours

Copyright 2010, BNE-Web-Creations
Home :: Avalon :: Eastern :: Central :: Western :: Labrador :: Getting Here :: Pictures :: Contact Us :: Site Map :: Privacy Policy :: Disclaimer :: Terms Of Use