Hiking & Walking Trails in Placentia

In the mid-1600's, the French court selected Placentia as the major base for its Newfoundland fishing fleets. The site, blessed with a superb harbour and a beach ideal for drying cod, had been frequented by Basque fishermen. from as early as the 16th century.

It was also flanked by a prominent hill which later served as the location for Fort Royal, the main defensive structure. After many encounters between the English and the French for control of Newfoundland, Placentia was ceded to the English under the terms of the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713.




Copyright 2010, BNE-Web-Creations
Home :: Avalon :: Eastern :: Central :: Western :: Labrador :: Getting Here :: Pictures :: Contact Us :: Site Map :: Privacy Policy :: Disclaimer :: Terms Of Use