Hiking & Walking Trails in Port Union

Port Union was an unoccupied area in the southwest arm of Catalina harbour prior to a 1915 land purchase by William F. Coaker. The site became the commercial headquarters for Coaker's Fishermen's Protective Union (FPU) and the Fishermen's Union Trading Company.

In May 1916, work commenced on building the town, which was named Port Union in December of that year. Coaker led the fight for a better way of life for thousands of fishermen and their families along the northeast coast, and also gained a measure of political power.




Copyright 2010, BNE-Web-Creations
Home :: Avalon :: Eastern :: Central :: Western :: Labrador :: Getting Here :: Pictures :: Contact Us :: Site Map :: Privacy Policy :: Disclaimer :: Terms Of Use