Castle Hill National Historic Site

Founded in 1662, Plaisance as Placentia was known then, was designed to protect the French fishing interests in Newfoundland and the approaches to New France. From Plaisance, French forces successfully raided British settlements during times of war while Fort Royal, atop Castle Hill, protected the colony from attack by British warships.

The military value of Castle Hill can be best understood by walking the trails which connect the stabilized ruins of the old fortifications. The Visitor Center presents an intriguing exhibit that tells the history of Placentia from the arrival of the first fishermen in the early 16th century to the struggle for power between the French and English.

The colony's story is told in the theatrical production " Faces of Fort Royal" performed in Summer.

Facilities and Services: The Visitor Centre and washrooms are wheelchair accessible, the grounds partially accessible with assistance. There are picnic facilities, public telephone and a gift shop.

Season: Jan 1 - Dec 31
Jun 15 - Sept 2, 8:30am-8pm
Sept 3 - Oct 15, 8:30am - 4:30pm
May 15 - Jun 14, 8:30am - 4:30pm

Location: Placentia

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 10
Jerseyside, NL, A0B 2G0

Telephone: 709-227-2401

Fax: 709-227-2452

Off Season Telephone: 709-772-5367

Off Season Fax: 709-772-6302

Copyright 2010, BNE-Web-Creations
Home :: Avalon :: Eastern :: Central :: Western :: Labrador :: Getting Here :: Pictures :: Contact Us :: Site Map :: Privacy Policy :: Disclaimer :: Terms Of Use