St. Pauls Church

The first Church of England was built in Harbour Grace in 1764 with the establishment of a mission to the community. The church was rather small in dimension and was enlarged in 1816 at a cost of more than 7000. Unfortunately, the church was completely destroyed by fire. Yet another church was constructed on the site. It had ten great windows on each side and carried a great tower with a spire and minarets. However, in 1832, a great fire spread through the town of Harbour Grace and the beautiful new church which cost 3870 to build was destroyed.

The cornerstone for the present St. Paul's church was laid by Govenor Prescott on August 28, 1835 on the same site as the 1764 church. It was then consecrated by Bishop Spencer on the 4th of July, 1840.

The church's pipe organ was built by the Chappell and Company and arrived from Liverpool, England on October 6, 1877. Until then music for the services was provided by clarinet, violins, and bass violin. Manually operated bellows were used to power the organ until 1948 when it was electrified. The bellows are still used in case of power failure.

The two chairs which stand in the chancel of the church were brought from India and given to the church in about 1835 by George Makinson, a former parishioner.

The Royal Coat of Arms which was not considered church furniture as such and therefore not consecrated, was installed on the west gallery in 1835. It signifies that St. Paul's Church, like St. Thomas' in St. John's, was a Garrison Church.

Season: Jan 1 - Dec 31

Location: Water Street, Harbour Grace

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 310
Harbour Grace, NL, A0A 2M0

Telephone: 709-596-3042

Fax: 709-596-1991

Copyright 2010, BNE-Web-Creations
Home :: Avalon :: Eastern :: Central :: Western :: Labrador :: Getting Here :: Pictures :: Contact Us :: Site Map :: Privacy Policy :: Disclaimer :: Terms Of Use