Campgrounds - Cape Ray

Cape Ray is located between Port aux Basques and Codroy Valley and has been settled since the mid 19th Century. It is also the location of the first submarine telegraph cable which was laid in 1856, as it was the last link remaining in the communications network between St. Johnís and New York.

Fishing has traditionally been the primary means of making a living. In 1871 the Government of Canada had erected a lighthouse on the western side of Cape Ray. The light could be seen at a distance of 32 km (20 mi) in clear weather. Cape Ray is a natural boundary of the French Shore.




Copyright © 2010, BNE-Web-Creations
Home :: Avalon :: Eastern :: Central :: Western :: Labrador :: Getting Here :: Pictures :: Contact Us :: Site Map :: Privacy Policy :: Disclaimer :: Terms Of Use