A community in St. Mary's Bay on the point of land nearest Great Colinet Island is Admiral's Beach. It is about 105 km from St. John's and 77 km from the Argentia Ferry. According to statistics, in 2001 the population of this community was about 212, decreased from the 400 people that lived there in the year 1981.
It was first settled in about 1858, by a French Admiral. After the first early settlers arrived in Admiral's Beach, few new settlers came into the community until 1956, when through the resettlement program, families from Colinet Island resettled there.
Good fishing grounds and a sheltered cove attracted the first settlers to the area. This remains the case today as a fish plant and marine center have been established in the community.