Aquaforte - Newfoundland and Labrador
Coordinates: 47.0067° N, 52.9574° W
Maps from 1519 referred to the area as R.da aguea, meaning
strong or fast water. This may have referred to
a local waterfall that empties into the harbour.
Later R.da aguea evolved into Agoforta and
By the late 1700s seasonal fishing crews were
visiting the area, however it was not until the
early 1800s that permanent settlement occurred
when English fishermen began to stay year round.
- 1675 to 1715, Aquaforte supports a small
seasonal fishery with ships from the English
ports of Bideford and Barnstable visiting regularly.
- 1776, local Justice of the Peace, Robert
Carver, applies to England for a small tract of
land and becomes the first farmer in the community.
- 1833, the first police constable in the area
- 1836, population grows to more than 125 residents.
- 1842, there are three schools operating in the area.
- 1902, Anders Ellefsen (A Norwegian) makes an
application to build a factory to process whales.
- 1920s to 1930s, local businessmen build ice
houses (insulated warehouses) to store ice for sale to passing schooners.
- 1972, Aquaforte is incorporated as a community.