Located on the southwest side of St. Mary's Bay, the community of Branch is part of the Cape Shore. This community is approximately 164 km from St. John's and 68 km from the Argentia Ferry.
It was first settled around 1790 and following initial settlement the community grew quite rapidly to become the largest community on the shore. Throughout the Nineteenth Century the fertile valley of Branch provided the means of livelihood for a number of farmers. In the Twentieth Century this trend declined as the importance of the fishery became evident. This continues today and Branch remains as an important and one of the largest centres on the Cape Shore.