Cape Broyle - Newfoundland and Labrador
Coordinates: 47.0955° N, 52.9493° W
Originally, many believed that the name is derived from the
Portuguese word albrolho, meaning a pointed rock
in the sea. More recently it is believed that it
is a derivative of brolle, meaning to roar,
referring to a ledge of sunken rock jutting out
from the cape and causing white water to form at
the bay's entrance.
An English colony was attempted in 1618, but did
not succeed. Later in the 1780s Irish settlers
began arriving and the community began to grow.
- 1618, Sir William
Vaughan arrives to establish a colony for England.
- 1623, Vaughan sells the northern portion of
his grant to Lord Baltimore and leaves Cape Broyle.
- 1623 1630s, Cape Broyle is referred to as Baltimores Harbour.
- 1696, census records show 13 residents in the area.
- mid 1800s, population rises to over 500 as
many families move from nearby Brigus South to
the more sheltered harbour at Cape Broyle.
- 1840, first road connecting Cape Broyle to other communities opens.
- 1864, Michael Patrick Cashin is born in Cape
Broyle. He begins his political career in 1893,
culminating with Cashin becoming Prime Minister
of Newfoundland from May to November 1919.
- 1870, first school opens in Cape Broyle.
- 1857, cod oil is manufactured at a local plant.
- 1903, whaling factory opens.
- 1950s, two hydro plants open.
- 1979, fish plant opens processing squid and capelin.