Fermeuse - Newfoundland and Labrador
Coordinates: 46.7321° N, 53.3651° W
Maps dated from the early 1500s refer to the area as R.fermoso and
Rio Fremoze. There is no agreement on the
meaning of the word, some believe that it is a
derivative of Fermosa which means beauty.
Settlement Fermeuse harbour was not settled
until the 1700s, when formerly migratory
fishermen from England decide to settle. By the
late 1700s and into the 1800s Irish settlement
- 1677, summer population is estimated to be
around 160 men.
- 1732, census records indicate Fermeuse has 32
English masters, 267 male servants, 1 wife, 1
female servant, 40 children and 35 male Irish
- 1732, a Justice of the Peace and police
constable are appointed to the community.
- 1845, first Roman Catholic Church opens.
- 1874, cod liver oil factory and lobster
processing factory employ many residents.
- 1905, Michael Shallow (born in Fermeuse 1874)
becomes British Empire Heavyweight Boxing
- 1967, Fermeuse is incorporated.
- 1990, the Fermeuse Marine Centre is
constructed by the Federal Government for the
repair and maintenance of fishing vessels.