The name Fogo is derived from the Portuguese word "fuego" meaning fire, which might refer to early forest fires which occurred frequently on the northern part of the Island. The earliest inhabitants of Fogo were the Beothuk Indians.
The first seasonal inhabitants (the French) settled as early as the late 1720's. In the 1780's the English became permanent residents because of the rich fishing grounds. Settlement continued after fish merchant "Slade and Company" established in 1783.
Fogo is the location of the Fogo Island Cottage Hospital which services the entire Island. It was built in 1952, opening with eight beds, one doctor and two nurses. A crab processing plant located here, owned and operated by the Fogo Island Co-operative Society, employs approximately 500 men and women at its peek season.
One of the Province's spectacular geographic formations, Fogo's Brimstone Head rises 300 feet above sea level. Brimstone Head is widely know and proclaimed, as one of the four corners of the earth, according to the Flat Earth Society.
Fogo's Annual Brimstone Head Folk Festival is one of the premier highlights of Newfoundland and Labrador's festival season. It is an absolute "must see" for all, especially those who are partial to traditional music.
The festival takes place each year during the second full weekend in August. There is always a great line-up of performers from Fogo Island and around the Province. Overlooking the ocean at the base of Brimstone Head, the festival provides an ideal location. Camping grounds with RV hook-ups are on site.