The Town of Heart's Desire was incorporated as a municipality in 1978.
According to one story, told by Harold Horwood, the town was named after a pirate ship which ravaged both sides of the Atlantic for years until 1620. The ship was captured by a Newfoundland skipper and brought back to Newfoundland as a prize!
Like most communities in the area, traditionally the residents of Heart's Desire made their living from the sea and the land. Today some residents are employed through a multi species fishery, while others commute to nearby communities for employment.
During 1983, Heart's Desire constructed a Community Park with a recreation centre, picnic tables, beautiful playground, and natural swimming area.
There is also a Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes, which is of great significance to the people of Heart's Desire. It was built in 1989, and consists of a statute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Bernadette, and an altar. This Shrine is surrounded by flowers during summer.