The name L'Anse Amour was believed to mean "cove of love", but this may be a corruption of the French name Pointe aux Morts, or Deadman's Point because of the many shipwrecks which occurred there.
The community, which had a population of 29 people in 1976, features a burial mound of the Maritime Archaic Indians, dating to 5000 BC. This is the oldest burial mound in North America and is now a National Historic Sites monument.
By 1820, European settlement was established at L'Anse Amour, which had become a fishing and sealing station. The first census in 1857 showed five people at L'Anse Aman and 23 at L'Anse Aman Point. In that year, the Point Amour lighthouse, located near the community, was constructed. At 53.2 metres (or 109 feet), it is the tallest lighthouse in Atlantic Canada and the second tallest in Canada.
In 1974, the community was chosen as the site for the construction of a tunnel to bring electricity from Churchill Falls. This construction provided a reliable road link to Forteau and it was during this construction that the burial mound along with other artifacts were found. Construction began in 1975, but was ceased the next year. The building constructed on the site was use for many years as an arena.