The community is named after Lewis Miller, an enterprising Scotsman who operated a logging company in Central Newfoundland.
Robert and Elizabeth Woolfrey relocated to Lewisporte from Moreton's Harbour in 1876 to establish a church and school in the community
As in many rural communities, a main hub of activity is the Women's Institute. Here, the institute operates the Bye the Bay Museum and the craft shop.
The museum's artifacts reflect life in earlier times and include Beothuk arrowheads. Among its most interesting displays are naval architecture plans from the 1805 era, including drawings for a yacht built for the Prince of Denmark and King George III's yacht, Royal Sovereign