The town of Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, which was established in 1986 by amalgamation, offers a peaceful rural setting with some of the most awe inspiring scenery in the province... just minutes from downtown St. John's. Middle Cove is part of the Marine Drive Provincial Park Reserve.
Middle Cove Beach is a popular site, especially during the annual caplin scull, when hundreds of the small, shiny fish roll onto the beach with each wave and people scoop them up with nets, buckets, or by the handful and bring them home to cook. The caplin scull usually occurs some time between mid-June and mid-August and attracts thousands of visitors and locals to the beach.
Memorial University's Ocean Sciences Research Centre (OSC) is located in Logy Bay. The OSC, which was constructed in 1967 conducts research focusing on cold ocean sciences. It is a leading centre for aquaculture research in Canada, focusing on developing a commercial Atlantic Cod Aquaculture industry in Newfoundland and the Atlantic halibut aquaculture industry in Atlantic Canada. Two popular attractions for the public at the OSC are the touch tank and the six resident seals.
The Logy Bay Museum, which is located in the Town Hall, celebrates the history of the three communities. Irish immigrants began to settle in the area in the early nineteenth century, because it was close to the inshore fishing and suitable for agricultural development. Exhibits at the museum shoe case the famous St. John's Regatta record of 9:13, set by the Outer Cove Crew of 1901 which held for ninety years, until 1991. Members of the original Outer Cove Crew have been inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame. The museum also has an archive which contains historic photos and documents.
Red Cliff, which is of interest for its spectacular scenery, has ruins of military installations. In 1943,an ammo bunker and underground gun battery were built as part of WW11 defences. In 1951, an American radar station was constructed, which was part of the North East Air Command. The station included barracks, shops, warehouses, dinning halls, recreational area and the operations centre. Both were abandoned more than 40 years ago, but many visitors enjoy a hike to visit the ruins and observe the scenery.