Mobile - Newfoundland and Labrador
Coordinates: 47.2483° N, 52.841° W
century maps referred to the area as Momables,
Mummable, and Mumemobles. It is not known for
certain what the terms refer to but it is
believed that it may refer to the old English
word for turbulent sea or it may refer to the
migratory (mobile) nature of the early fishery.
Early English fishermen settled in the area, but
were later joined by larger numbers of Irish
- 1705, Mobile is listed as having a population
of six families.
- 1836, the first official census of
Newfoundland lists the population at 153
- 1845, a Roman Catholic church is recorded in
the census for the area, but it is believed to
have been built in the late 1700s.
- 1859, St. Aidan’s Roman Catholic School
enrolls 32 students.
- 1874, population reaches 231
- 1930 – 1952, St. Theresa’s School replaces St.
- 1950, Hydroelectric station is built.