New Perlican is one of the oldest settlements in the province. the town was mentioned by name by Thomas Rowley, one of the first settlers at the Cupids Colony. According to his correspondence, he was making plans to move to New Perlican in 1619. We do not know if he did, but we know that by 1675 William Herfford and his family were living there.
The site of the Hefford Plantation was discovered in 2001 and archaeological excavations have been conducted there every year since then. A number of the artifacts from the excavation are on display at the Fred Grant Memorial Building located right next to the site.