Springdale - Newfoundland and Labrador

Route 390
Coordinates: 49.5014° N, 56.066° W

The Town of Springdale , situated on the western shore of Hall's Bay, was first settled by Joseph Blackler in 1878. The influx of settlers into the region occurred in the late 1870's. At this time a mill was built by John Curtis, on a small island a few hundred feet from the present location of the Town. This island was named Mill Island.

It's from these first inhabitants that Springdale received its name. Near the shoreline there was a spring from which the workers got their water. The spring was situated in a dale and hence the name Springdale, thus replacing its former name of Wolf Cove.

Even though there are many fisher people in the town, Springdale was built mainly around the logging industry. Mining is also a large part of the economic history of Springdale. This town is not only the largest in Green Bay, but it is also the service centre of the region.

Genealogy Information

Copyright © 2010, BNE-Web-Creations
Home :: Avalon :: Eastern :: Central :: Western :: Labrador :: Getting Here :: Pictures :: Contact Us :: Site Map :: Privacy Policy :: Disclaimer :: Terms Of Use