St. Mary's - Newfoundland and Labrador
Early Portugue named the community, the bay and the cape all in
honour of Portugal's patron saint; St. Mary.
French fishermen used the area as a base in the
1500s for fishing and continued this use until
1713. Afterwards English merchants arrived with
Irish fishing servants and permanent settlement
- 1782, local inhabitants organize a defence
against American Privateer and successfully
defend their community.
- 1819, population is 454.
- 1834, Father James Duffy is appointed the
first resident priest.
- 1851, a commercial school opens offering
instruction in needlework, geography, grammar
- 1859, the Presentation Sisters open a school.
- 1870, the first court house and jail opens.
- 1966, the community is incorporated.