St. Vincent's: First appeared on a Portuguese map in 1519, as Porta da Cruz. Until 1910, it was often called Holyrood South or Holyrood Pond to distinguish it from Holyrood, Conception Bay.
St. Stephen's: Previously known as Middle Gut was renamed in honour of Father Stephen O'Driscoll of St. Mary's.
Peter's River: Was named by French Fisherman.
Located at the eastern entrance of St. Mary's the communities of St. Vincent's-St. Stephen's-Peter's River were undoubtedly visited by French and Portuguese migratory Fishermen in the 1500s, 1600s and 1700s. Permanent settlement began shortly thereafter with the arrival of English and Irish settlers who established a local salmon fishery.