Tors Cove - Newfoundland and Labrador
Coordinates: 47.2149° N, 52.8511° W
Prior to 1910, the community usually appeared on maps as either
Toad Cove or Toad's Cove, possibly derived from
the old English word tode meaning fox.
Migratory English fishermen and planters were
some of the first people to settle in Tors Cove
year round. They began arriving in the late
1600s. Later Irish settlers arrived and worked
in the inshore cod fishery.
- 1675, population is recorded as 22.
- 1836, first official census of Newfoundland
lists Tors Cove with a population of 42
- 1844, first school is opened in the area.
- 1869, Roman Catholic church opens.
- 1884, with a thriving cod fishery, the
population peaks at 389.
- 1950s, families are re-settled from the
communities of LaManche, Merasheen, and Great