Trepassey - Newfoundland and Labrador
Coordinates: 46.7321° N, 53.3651° W
Trepassey originates from the French word trepasses, meaning the
'dead or departed'. It is believed that it
acquired this name due to the many shipwrecks
that have occurred off its coast. Also on the
Brittany coast of France there is a Baie des
Trepasses. Trepassey is the name of the harbour,
the bay and the community.
Spanish, Portuguese and French fishermen visited
the area in the early 1500s. Early English
settlement attempts failed, and it was not until
the latter part of the 1600s that the French
settled the area. Later fishermen from the West
Country of England arrived, to be followed by
large numbers of Irish and by the 1770s the
Irish formed the majority of the population.
- 1600s, Trepassey marks the area where the
French and English areas of influence in
- 1675, the French occupy one part of the
Trepassey harbour and the English the other
- 1713, the Treaty of Utrecht gives control of
Trepassey to England. Shortly thereafter,
Trepassey becomes a major centre of the English
migratory and bank fisheries.
- 1821, the
first lighthouse is built at Cape
Pine, the southernmost point in Newfoundland.
- 1836, the population is listed as 247.
- 1884, population reaches 668.
- 1914, the Newfoundland Railway Branch Line is
completed, linking Trepassey with St. Johns.
- 1919, United States Navy Curtis Flying Board
(the NC-4) leaves Trepassey harbour on May 16
and flies to Portugal via the Azores, thus
completing the first successful (although not
non-stop) transatlantic flight.
- 1928, (June 28), after staying in Trepassey
for three weeks, Amelia Earhart as a passenger
aboard The Friendship, becomes the first woman
to fly across the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1969, the community elects its first town
- 1991, the local fish plant closes putting over
600 people out of work.