The town of Trout River was incorporated as a town in 1966, Trout River's first settler was George Crocker and until 1880, this family was its only inhabitants. The first census was taken in 1857, and the population was 13. By 1891, the population was 163 because of the beginning of the lobster fishery.
Until the late 1950s when a rough road was built to it, the community remained very isolated and it was not until 1973 when Gros Morne National Park was established that the road system improved.
Many of the town's residents now work at Gros Morne or are involved in the tourist industry.
Click Pictures for Larger Views