The Road to the Isles refers to a series of islands - Chapel Island, new World Island and Twillingate Island, that were connected to the mainland of Notre dame Bay by causeway some 36 years ago.
Twillingate is home to one of the oldest wooden churches in Newfoundland. St. Peter's Anglican Church, patterned from St. James Church in Poole, England, was built in the early 1750s.
The town's most famous resident, opera singer Georgina Sterling, is buried in St. Peter's Cemetery. In the late 1800s, Miss sterling, known professionally as Marie Toulinguet, won acclaim for her performances at the Paris Opera and La Scala in Milan. Her career was cut short due to voice failure and she returned to Twillingate to live out her days.
Twillingate was once a thriving fishing community with the arrival of French fishermen in the early 1600s. The area acted as a trading station for merchants from Poole, England in the mid 1700s.
The story of the town is told at the Twillingate Museum, a former Anglican Rectory.
Twillingate and New World Island host the Fish, fun and Folk Festival each year which features music, dance and crafts, baked goods, and entertainment.
Long Point Lighthouse, built in 1876, is one of the the best places in Newfoundland to see icebergs and humpback whales.