The historic significance commemorated in the restoration of the Green Family Forge is the preservation of an industrial building that was operated by one family for over two hundred years.
The present smithy was built between 1895 and 1900. This building is unusual for that era as it is 30 feet wide, 50 feet deep and 25 feet high with a second storey along the front of the structure. This was used as a stock room and office.
At the back of the building was a tinsmith section. Here stove pipes, roof flanges, oil cans, gasoline tanks, funnels, kettles (called quicks), mixing pans, tea cans and many more items were made.
A shallow well at the back wall supplied the water needed for cooling forged items. The water was always cool clear and was a favorite place for people who visited Trinity by boat or horse and sleigh to be sure of getting a cool drink.
The space in the front was often used as an area for the horses to dry off before they were led into the main part of the forge to be shod.
Electricity did not come until 1955, so all work was done by the fire and one kerosene lamp. Work was performed by hand with as many as four blacksmiths working at the same time using the two forges. Both forges are still coal fired and the bellows are pumped by hand.
Season: May - Sept 30, Off season by appointment.
Location: West Street at Dandy Lane, Trinity.
P.O. Box 8
Off Season Telephone/Fax: 709-464-3706