Avondale Railway Station

The Avondale Railway Station, the 1.8 km of rail track and the 5-car static train display with operating Diner has great significance and historical value.

The original construction was in 1864 by the Anglo American Telegraph and Electric Company. By 1883 trains were running daily, except Sunday, between Fort William, St. John's and Avondale (then named Salmon Cove).

Two years later, the line was completed to Harbour Grace. The Reid Newfoundland Company made steady progress in railroad building across the island of Newfoundland, and in 1900 the Avondale Telegraphic Repeater Station was acquired by them to be used as a railway station until it closed in 1982.

A Railway Museum and a Community Museum are housed in the railway station.

Season: The Station and Museums are open daily from 11 to 5 p.m. during July and August.

Location: Avondale Access Road, Avondale

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 100
Avondale, NL, A0A 1B0

Copyright 2010, BNE-Web-Creations
Home :: Avalon :: Eastern :: Central :: Western :: Labrador :: Getting Here :: Pictures :: Contact Us :: Site Map :: Privacy Policy :: Disclaimer :: Terms Of Use