Brigus South - Newfoundland and Labrador
Coordinates: 47°06′47″N 52°52′57″W
The name is believed
to be a derivative of the French word brega,
meaning intrigue or corruption.
The area was known to French and probably Portuguese
mariners in the 1500s and 1600s. First settlers
were fishermen who began inhabiting the area in
the late 1600s, probably from other established
communities such as
- 1677, first census of the area lists a Richard
Koane, John Kent, Nicholas Koane and their
servants as being the sole inhabitants.
- 1705, population grows to five families.
- 1800s, Irish immigrants begin to arrive and
settle in the community.
- 1871, new school opens with 32 students.
- 1891, population rises to 140.
- 1930s, during the Great Depression, many
individuals leave to seek work in larger centres such a St. Johns.
- 1970s and 1980s, the community is the site of many television and film productions.
Click Pictures for Larger Views