Calvert - Newfoundland and Labrador
Coordinates: 47°03′11″N 52°54′39″W / 47.053°N 52.9107°W
appeared on Portuguese maps as Rio das patas,
meaning goose or auk river. Later English
fishermen referred to it as Caplin Bay,
presumably after the abundant capelin in the
However, on January 30,1922 the
area was renamed in honour of Sir George
Calvert, the first Baron Baltimore and founder
Colony of Avalon.
Often visited by French, Portuguese and English
mariners it was not until the late 1600s that
English fishermen began to settle permanently.
- 1620s to 1650s, settlers from the Colony of
Avalon at Ferryland arrive and frequent the
local fishing grounds.
- 1675, the first census of the area is taken,
indicating a total of 20 inhabitants.
- 1697, the French attack and take over the
harbour for a short period.
- Late 1700s to early 1800s, prime fishing
grounds are claimed by English merchant
- 1800s, Irish settlers begin arriving in
considerable numbers, they soon outnumber the
- 1850 to 1900, local saw milling operations
employ many fishermen during the winter months.
- 1901, population increases to 294.
- 1974, small feeder fish plant opens.