The small community of Gambo marks the end of the scenic drive along the Road to the Shore, a horse shoe shaped loop from Gander along Route 330 and Route 320 to Gambo.
A popular pit stop along the Trans Canada Highway, before entering the community is Joey's Lookout. A tribute suitably positioned to overlook the birthplace of Joseph R. Smallwood, the first premier of the province and leader of Confederation in 1949. Joey's Lookout out gives a beautiful panoramic view of Gambo.
The first settlers to the area were English Fishermen chasing the abundant source of Salmon in the early 1700s.
In 1863, David Smallwood, grandfather of the late premier, built the first steam powered sawmill used in Newfoundland in the community. Irish descendants from the South Shore and New Brunswick migrated to the area for work.
David Smallwood Park built on Middle Brook River, a scheduled Salmon river flowing from the interior to Freshwater Bay. A Salmon ladder at the park allows Salmon to go upstream to spawn.
Gambo displays proudly the work and life of Joey Smallwood through commemorative museums and statues. Sites to visit include the Joseph R. Smallwood Interpretation Centre and Kittiwake Coast Information Centre and Smallwood Sculpture located within the community.